- Fill up your fuel tank. Fill up your tank to the first click-off and reset the trip odometer to zero.
- . Drive to your destination.
- Drive normally until the tank is less than half full.
- Fill up the tank again (preferably at the same station using the same pump as pumps may be calibrated differently). This time, pay attention to how many gallons/liters it takes to fill up the tank. This is usually shown at the pump.
- Take note of the odometer reading
- Divide your answer (odometer reading) by the number of gallons it took to fill up your tank. This will give you your car's MPG. or if you want it in km/liter, divide the odometer reading by the total liters being pumped.
Monday, November 15, 2010
How to measure your car's fuel consumtion
Fuel consumption is normally expressed in terms of MPG (miles per galloon) , L/100km, or km/liter. In the Philippines, where I come from, we express it in terms of km/L.